Nov 6, 2010

DIY Ottoman

A few weeks ago I upholstered an ottoman that we purchased second hand. I wanted it in grey velvet with
black shiny buttons :)
I have absolutely no experience with these things....but I am stubborn, and I don't like spending a fortune
to have it professionally upholstered.
So, this is what you need:


an old ottoman
fabric of your choice
cord suitable for upholstering
buttons
staple gun
in the picture you see needles, but they didn't work for me so I used wooden skewers instead :)



I took off the old cover and traced a pattern from that onto the new fabric. Then I sew it together and pulled it over the chair. Since this ottoman didn't have buttons, we had to drill holes from underneath in a pattern of your choice.
Then I taped the thread to a skewer and pulled it through the fabric...attached a button, and pulled the skewer back again.



On the back, I pulled the cord until the buttons were deep enough, and then stapled the thread in place on the back.



Then I stapled the new fabric in to place and covered the bottom with the old cover.







What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great! It looks beautiful and you didn't have to sew anything! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks brilliant - well done! you made it seem simple, like even I could do it!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...